The Pseudoscientists — Parasites and Zombies: A Discussion with Kelly Weinersmith
Jack geeks out with parasitologist and general cool person Kelly Weinersmith about the seriously interesting world of parasites, zombies and evolutionary neuroscientists. Are mosquitos parasites, or just annoying? How do fungi control ants? Which parasite is in the brains of one third of all human beings? And how many bad jokes can Jack make in an hour? Listen and find out…
- Make sure to check out Kelly’s podcasts: The Weekly Weinersmith (with her husband, Zach Weinersmith, of SMBC) and Science… Sort Of.
- Also, check out some of the Open Access papers in Kelly’s special edition of the journal Integrative and Comparative Biology on parasite manipulation:
- “Parasitic Manipulation of Hosts’ Phenotype, or How to Make a Zombie — An Introduction to the Symposium”
- “Nematodes Infect, But Do Not Manipulate Digging By, Sand Crabs, Lepidopa benedicti”
- “What Makes a Feline Fatal in Toxoplasma gondii’s Fatal Feline Attraction? Infected Rats Choose Wild Cats”
- “Position of Larval Tapeworms, Polypocephalus sp., in the Ganglia of Shrimp, Litopenaeus setiferus”
This podcast is supported by the Rationalist Society of Australia.
Also, consider leaving us a rating and/or review on iTunes!
If you have feedback for the show or want to ask us a question, get in touch via our Contact page or send us an email at youngausskeptics(at)gmail(dot)com.